Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
catherton  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2023 8:21:39 AM(UTC)
catherton

Groups: Registered
Canada

Hello!

I'm looking for assistance in generating a template for importing historical data. From my reading of the support file, it looks like I can copy lab reports into the template (screen shot below), but I can't figure out how to make the template to import the data. 

Help?

Nick Support  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2023 9:05:30 AM(UTC)
Nick Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
Canada

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 29 post(s)

Hi Colleen,

Historical data can be imported via the Data Migration Manager (DMM).

You can read more about this in our online manual here: DMM - Importing Historical Data

There are several different formats you can import, however your screen capture shows the CrossTabbed Chemistry method.

This should provide you enough information to get started, and if you have any further questions, please post them here.

Thanks,

Nick

catherton  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2023 9:16:40 AM(UTC)
catherton

Canada

I looked at the DDM portion of the online manual, but it wasn't clear to me how to generate the import template in the specific format shown in my screenshot. Here is an example of the data format I want to import:

​​​​​​​

Nick Support  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2023 9:32:38 AM(UTC)
Nick Support

Canada

Hi Colleen,

All the templates from DMM can either be populated in the browser window, or exported to an Excel workbook by clicking the Excel symbol.

Crosstab.png (61kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You then just type or paste in your data (adding extra columns for additional analytes).

Once you have populated the Excel file with your data, you then load it into the browser using the "Populated Excel Import Template" to assign the correct Chem Codes and validate the data.

excel.png (6kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Thanks,

Nick

catherton  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2023 10:22:08 AM(UTC)
catherton

Canada

That helps. Thanks.

Is it still possible to add your own Chem Codes?

My data has multiple measurements of pH (paste pH and rinse pH, two different methods) and neutralization potential (calculated from TIC and measured directly from the sample). I need a way to differentiate these in the data.

Colleen

Nick Support  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2023 2:19:32 AM(UTC)
Nick Support

Canada

Hi Colleen,

It's not possible to add your own Chem Codes.  These are managed by our EScIS ESdat administrators in conjunction with the laboratories.  If you do think there is a need for a new Chem Code, please reach out and we will review if this is required. 

However, generally ESdat does not use different Chem Codes for different methods - this is differentiated by the "Method Name" field in the Chemistry Results table and is specified in the ESdat EDD that comes directly from the labs.  There are exceptions to this rule, but the main reason for it is because it is not actually a different analyte/parameter just because it has been analyzed differently.  Multiple Chem Codes for the same analyte also means that you would also need to make multiple entries for these in the Environmental Standards, which would add a whole new level of Chem Code administration.

With the simple CrossTab import you cannot specify this field (the CrossTab import automatically populates this field with "Unknown"), however you can with the "Chemistry Results" import.

You have a few options here:

1. If the lab can generate ESdat EDDs, the simplest solution is to ask them to reissue the data in this format.
  2. You can use the "Chemistry Samples" and "Chemistry Results" import templates, which allows you to include more data in your imports.  To do this you would need your historical data as a list, rather than a crosstab.  
  3. Use the CrossTab import, but do it in iterations - upload the first lot of results for the ChemCode, then using the "DMM / View and Edit" tab change the Method Name.  You can then import the next lot of data for that Chem Code as it will now meet the uniqueness requirements by having a different Method Name. 

Editing the Method Name and/or Method Type fields in the Chemistry Results table also means that you can utilze the "Group By" option for these when generating your chemistry tables in ESdat.  This can allow you more freedom with how your data is grouped, rather than just using your Chemistry Profiles.

I hope all that makes sense for you.

Thanks,

Nick